Lads in Distress

Human Verification Code is "polywerp"
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Post subject: Tristan lives!! (?)
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:20 am  

Goblin Chief

Goblin Chief

WARNING -- Spoilers for BHUD below!

Short version: I plan to retcon Tristan's death in BHUD. Everything prior to the final scene will remain canon and Tristan will escape the BHUDs and survive the entire comic to be seen again in an upcoming sequel.

More explanation: Tristan escapes the horrors of the BHUD monsters in the underworld... then is savagely eaten alive by Mr. Zee live on TV on some daytime gossip show. This final scene, isolated from the rest of the comic, is perfectly fine, however, I've always felt it was really too random and out of place in the comic. In fact, I decided to make this scene pretty much last minute -- my original plan was to have Tristan still escape but then the BHUDs get him a few weeks later. So, why did I switch from a BHUD ending to a Mr Zee on TV ending? Simply put, I spend much time creating each frame that it can often feel 'grindy' to stick to one project too long without switching it up -- and the Mr Zee ending, essentially, felt like a different comic. In hindsight, I wish I had kept the BHUD ending.

Problems with current "Mr. Zee" ending:
::->:: It's too random and out of place with everything else in the story.
::->:: It has Mr Zee... but the comic is in modern times... but Mr Zee is also a friend of Voonder as seen in V is for Voonder. This creates a problem as there is not meant to be modern tech like TV in the Voonder/Datton world.
::->:: Tristan and this story is meant to take place in a modern-day world -- Mr Zee shouldn't be there.

I want to make a new BHUD comic! I've wanted to make a new BHUD comic for some time and I've recently planned something out. I thought this is the perfect time to finally retcon the Tristan ending that I never really liked... Tristan will, therefore, have escaped the BHUDs and still be alive for the new comic.

First, I'll make a new ending. Before I make the new BHUD comics I'll need to revise the ending of the current BHUD comic. There are a few options:
::->:: Completely eliminate pages 59-68 (the Gossip Hour/Mr Zee scene) and give Tristan a short "escape and lives on" scene.
::->:: Keep the Gossip Hour/Mr Zee scene but edit it to have been a dream (to be clear ONLY the final scene will be a dream, all else really happened to poor Tristan).
::->:: Edit the Gossip Hour scene, cutting out Mr Zee and Tristan's death. Instead, Tristan says what he wants to say on TV and lives on...for now.
::->:: No matter which revised ending I go with, Tristan will survive the comic "BHUD" and be in the upcoming sequel.
::->:: I may still keep the original ending in the zip file as a bonus "alternate ending"
The revised ending will be free for anyone to download and I would include it with an upcoming Comic of the Month job for BHUD.

Your opinion matters. I know some people really like the scene with Mr Zee and Tristan (which is why I'm tempted to at least leave it in as a dream) and I know others may think the scene is too far removed from the rest of the comic. So let me know your opinion on this! I'll probably make my decision pretty soon as I'm excited to make the new BHUD comic!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tristan lives!! (?)
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 am  

Goblin Chief

Goblin Chief

Oh and by the way -- don't worry -- I think character deaths should have weight and be permanent so I'm not planning to retcon any other deaths or endings! Tristan will be the only one and it's been in consideration for years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:42 pm  

Goblin Chief

Goblin Chief

The "Mr Zee" ending from BHUD has been officially replaced with a new ending with Tristan surviving.

You can download (for free) this new ending via the BHUD Comic of the Month page (click image above). All future purchases/downloads of BHUD will include this new ending but also have the Mr Zee ending in the zip as an 'alternate ending.'

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:14 pm  
Snake

Snake

I hope that Tristan's ultimate demise might not be at the hands of the big BHUD monster; the swallow-em-whole approach is not as, well, interesting as the more piecemeal dining that human-sized monsters like Mr. Zee engage in. The big monster's kids would be okay, but I'd rather see such a delicious morsel as Tristan enjoyed by a more human monster, one who, like Zee, can communicate with him right up to the end.

Profile E-mail