Gumroad / PayPal update

Wunderkind
Site Admin

Gumroad / PayPal update

Post by Wunderkind »

Late last year I mentioned (on the old forum) that PayPal was going to limit their access through Gumroad starting in January, 2021. Fortunately, that was delayed for about 6 months, but now the changes seem to be in place.

Currently, as best I can tell, no one can buy comics on Gumroad using PayPal. You can still use credit cards, of course. I believe PayPal will still work fine using Patreon. The reason being Patreon is subscription as opposed to immediate transaction. As I understand it, PayPal essentially bullied Gumroad into making their payments go directly from buyer to seller, skipping the holdover in Gumroad (which pays out once per week, instead of immediately).

Options to buy comics:
-Gumroad. You can buy any comics using a credit card.
-Patreon. I believe you can use a credit card or PayPal. $10 a month gets you ALL comics created during the months you are a Patron. Or you can overpay (even if for just one month) in order to get comics you want. Anything you pay over the $10 base you can apply to store credit.
-Burner / Gift Cards. A few have arranged this with me. Essentially, you trade the gift cards for store credit. This has to be done manually, so you'll need to contact me if interested. I'd prefer you only use this option as a last resort as it takes the most effort.
The newest Wundercomic:
MrJones

Re: Gumroad / PayPal update

Post by MrJones »

Speaking strictly of my own experience, my first Gumroad purchase using a credit card was on May 3rd (I believe it was the BHUD 2 saga). Since then, I've made four other purchases, all of which have gone smoothly . I get an immediate e-mail saying I've purchased the comment, then subsequently (sometimes just a few minutes later, sometimes a few hours, but always on the same day) an e-mail from WunderKind with the link to the comic. I don't use Patreon, so I can't comment on that.
Wunderkind
Site Admin

Re: Gumroad / PayPal update

Post by Wunderkind »

That's great. I appreciate you making the transition from PayPal to credit card.
MrJones wrote: June 13th, 2021, 11:37 am Speaking strictly of my own experience, my first Gumroad purchase using a credit card was on May 3rd (I believe it was the BHUD 2 saga). Since then, I've made four other purchases, all of which have gone smoothly . I get an immediate e-mail saying I've purchased the comment, then subsequently (sometimes just a few minutes later, sometimes a few hours, but always on the same day) an e-mail from WunderKind with the link to the comic. I don't use Patreon, so I can't comment on that.
The newest Wundercomic: